The Sea Heritage Foundation, which operates the 1962-built historic lighthouse tender vessel ‘Cape Don’ to preserve a part of Australia’s maritime heritage, has announced the formation of an Indigenous Advisory Committee.
The Committee consists of leading professionals in Indigenous affairs, education, business, finance, and the veteran community. It will guide the Foundation’s strategic efforts create social and economic change through working with industry and Government stakeholders. The Indigenous Advisory Committee consists of:
- Larissa Behrendt OA, FASSA, FAAL, Distinguished Professor, Chair of Indigenous Research, Director of Research and Academic Programs Jumbunna Institute for Indigenous Education & Research, University of Technology Sydney
- Matthew Jones, MBA, businessman, Chartered Accountant & Indigenous engagement professional (navy veteran)
- Ron Jones, construction industry, education & Indigenous engagement professional
- Glenn Richi, maritime professional, Indigenous engagement mentor (navy veteran)
The Sea Heritage Foundation has also announced the support of Indigenous Australian Defence Force Veterans within its program.
The Prince of Wales Trust Australia is a national charity that helps military veterans, and their families, prepare for life outside military service. Support includes inspiring veterans and their families into entrepreneurship and self-employment and championing resilient, sustainable communities. Founded by His Royal Highness, Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales, this program provided the platform for Sea Heritage Foundation board member CJ Manjarres-Wahlberg to engage with fellow veterans about their businesses and community projects.
Black Tie Fundraising Gala
A Gala Black Tie Fundraiser will be held at the National Maritime Museum on Saturday 20th of November 2021 in the appropriately named “Lighthouse Gallery“.
Dust off your tux or evening gown and celebrate the future of the Cape Don at the National Maritime Museum, while enjoying five-star fine dining!
Guest speakers for the evening:
- Ms. Linda Burney MP, Shadow Minister for Families and Social Services, Shadow Minister for Indigenous Australians
- Captain Melwyn Noronha, Chief Executive Officer, Shipping Australia
- Commodore Charles Huxtable RAN, Commodore Naval Training Command
Purchase event tickets here (tickets are tax-deductible donations).
Companies with an ABN number may request payment by invoice by contacting the event organiser via